Doctor of Philosophy (Ethnology and Anthropology), University of Jyväskylä, Finland.
Master of Social Sciences (Social and Cultural Anthropology), University of Helsinki, Finland. Thesis title: “If my daughter runs away, I will drink poison” – (In)dividual honour and the gendered nature of child marriage in southern Rajasthan, India.
Bachelor of Arts, University of Jyväskylä, Finland. Studies in Ethnology, Sociology and Gender Studies.
SELECTED WORK EXPERIENCE
- Since April 2019
Post-Doctoral Researcher in the project “Sustainable Livelihoods and the Politics at the Margins: Environmental Displacement in South Asia” led by Professor Sirpa Tenhunen. The four-year research project is financed by the Academy of Finland.
- Jan 2014 – Dec 2018
Doctoral Student, University of Jyväskylä.
- March 2015 – March 2016
Fieldwork in Ahmedabad, India, affiliated with the CEPT University.
PUBLIC TALKS AND CONFERENCE PAPERS
- 17 Aug 2018, Stockholm, Sweden
Paper “Arborescent Community: Displaced Sindhis’ Politics of Emplacement,” EASA Biennial Conference 2018.
- 31 Oct 2017, Jyväskylä, Finland
Jyväskylä City library. Talk “Aistitieto ja etnografinen elokuva.”
- 27 June 2017, Copenhagen, Denmark
Panelist in a discussion titled “Democracy at 70.” Asian Dynamics Initiative Conference 2017.
- 27 June 2017, Copenhagen, Denmark
Paper “From Third-Class to World-Class?: Claiming Belonging, Countering Betrayal in the Margins of Ahmedabad,” Asian Dynamics Initiative Conference 2017.
- 22 May 2017, Jyväskylä, Finland
Paper “Shaped stories: Material modifications in a slum resettlement site in Ahmedabad, India,” Biennial Conference of the Finnish Anthropological Society 2017: Entangled Mobilities.
- 22 March 2017, Tampere, Finland
Participant in the working group “Urban Studies,” SOVAKO Winter School.
- 2 Feb 2017, Helsinki, Finland
Paper “‘All the Others are Third-Class Citizens’: Claiming Belonging, Countering Betrayal in Neoliberal Ahmedabad,” Development Days Conference.
- 9 Dec 2016, Jyväskylä, Finland
Chair of panel “Western Identity,” The West: Concept, Narrative, and Politics.
- 6 Aug 2016, Jyväskylä, Finland
Paper “Materiality of Belonging: Contestations over Religious Buildings in a Slum Resettlement Site in Ahmedabad, India,” Poverty’s Causes and Consequences in the Urban Developing World.
- 5 Aug 2016, Jyväskylä, Finland
Chair of panel “Poverty & Development in India,” Poverty’s Causes and Consequences in the Urban Developing World.
- 23 July 2016, Milan, Italy
Paper “Ambivalent Engagements: Resettled Slum-Dwellers’ Responses to the World-Class City Vision in Ahmedabad, India,” EASA Biennial Conference 2016.
- 11 July 2016, Vienna, Austria
Paper “Thrown into the Jungle – Experiences of Displacement and Disruption in Neoliberal India,” ISA Forum of Sociology.
- 18 Feb 2016, Ahmedabad, India
Invited lecture “Mobilization of Difference in a Slum Resettlement Site in Ahmedabad,” FP Lecture Series, CEPT University.
- 11 Sept – 18 Oct 2017, 16 Jan – 14 Feb 2017, 23 Sept – 24 Oct 2016, Jyväskylä, Finland
Course “Research Methods in History and Ethnology” together with Matti Roitto and Anssi Halmesvirta, University of Jyväskylä.
- 2016-2018, Jyväskylä, Finland
Individual lectures on courses “Etnologian ajankohtaisia kysymyksiä”, “Ethnology of Development” and “Socio-Cultural Ethnography and Ethics”, University of Jyväskylä.
SOCIETAL IMPACT OF RESEARCH
- General-audience article “Kehitys, köyhyys ja kaupungistuminen nyky-Intiassa”, Kleio 1/2018: 14-15
- 15 Dec 2016, Blog post “The Great Sacrifice: Dealing with Demonetization in India”, Poverty and Development Research Center blog
- 8 Nov 2016, Short documentary “The Goodwill City” screened at the event “Visual India: Films and Photos from the Field,” University of Jyväskylä
- 19 Dec 2015, Photo essay “Distanced Away: Constrained Livelihoods in the South-Eastern Margins of Ahmedabad” (in collaboration with Niklas Salmi). Exhibition “Violence, Conflicts and Inequality in Ahmedabad”, Satya Art Gallery, Ahmedabad.
- 14 Aug 2015, Blog post “Disruptive Resettlement Policies in Ahmedabad”, Poverty and Development Research Center blog